Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Register now by clicking HERE!

Username: Password:
Remember Me Forgot Password?
I Can't Register

Register

Events Calendar | Reviews |
 All Forums
 Religion
 Spiritual Matters
 What the bible got wrong

The following people are reading this Topic also here:

Bookmark this Topic
Author Previous Topic: Religious v secular holidays Topic Next Topic: The Devil is real?    

spinner

Member #: 222
Topics started: 25
 Posted On: 11/15/2010  At: 1:38:57 PM

This is really cool art. Apparently God couldn't keep his story straight.

What the Bible got Wrong

MerryA
Advanced Member

Member #: 25
Topics started: 669
State: Tennessee

Posted On: 11/15/2010  At: 7:42:17 PM | Reply Link

Which is why I don't take it literally. I wouldn't say the Bible gets it wrong, just that it was written by men and translated/copied numerous times before we got to the KJV.

MerryA's sig 
"Pain changes things." - Greg House

Go to Top of Page

ParaDude
Advanced Member

Member #: 52
Topics started: 312

Posted On: 11/15/2010  At: 7:48:31 PM | Reply Link

Quote:
Originally posted by MerryA

Which is why I don't take it literally. I wouldn't say the Bible gets it wrong, just that it was written by men and translated/copied numerous times before we got to the KJV.

Yes but I've been told (over and over and over again) that the Bible is the word of God and that he had a direct hand in guiding the hands of those who wrote it. God made clerical errors?

ParaDude's sig 

Go to Top of Page

MerryA
Advanced Member

Member #: 25
Topics started: 669
State: Tennessee

Posted On: 11/15/2010  At: 8:45:51 PM | Reply Link

Quote:
Originally posted by ParaDude

Quote:
Originally posted by MerryA

Yes but I've been told (over and over and over again) that the Bible is the word of God and that he had a direct hand in guiding the hands of those who wrote it. God made clerical errors?

You have been told that by the far right fringe. Know the source and listen accordingly.

MerryA's sig 
"Pain changes things." - Greg House

Go to Top of Page

ghoti

Member #: 7
Topics started: 328
City: Ishpeming
State: Michigan

Posted On: 11/15/2010  At: 9:10:13 PM | Reply Link

I'm with Merry on this. IMO much of the Bible was written by men who truly did have an actual religious vision from the creator. Trouble is, by the time they actually sat down to write about it they put it in their own words and their memory might have been less than perfect.

The writing style between different books is completely different, which is a pretty strong indicator that it was written by different men. Much of it. especially the Old Testament, may have been passed down orally for generations before being written down.

The vast majority of people 2000 and more years ago were illiterate, of course, so if you knew how to read and write you could make a good living as a scribe. It's quite likely that many of the books were actually written down by someone other than the person who had the actual vision.

[ Edited by: ghoti on 11/15/2010 9:14:44 PM ]

ghoti's sig 
The scientific mindset: try to answer all the questions but be especially sure to question all the answers.

Excuse me, but I believe my karma just ran over your dogma.

Go to Top of Page

aevory

Member #: 142
Topics started: 85
City: Raleigh
State: NC

Posted On: 11/19/2010  At: 09:14:46 AM | Reply Link

blasphemy

aevory's sig 
The voice of conscience is so delicate that it is easy to stifle it; but it is also so clear that it is impossible to mistake it. -Madame De Stael, writer (1766-1817)

Go to Top of Page

ParaDude
Advanced Member

Posted On: 11/19/2010  At: 09:41:24 AM | Reply Link

Quote:
Originally posted by aevory

blasphemy

No comment on content, just attack the message. Oh well, given your obvious limitations I suppose this is to be expected.

[ Edited by: ParaDude on 11/20/2010 12:19:34 PM ]

ParaDude's sig 

Go to Top of Page

aevory

Posted On: 11/19/2010  At: 5:07:45 PM | Reply Link

Quote:

Quote:

blasphemy

No comment on content, just attack the message. Oh well, give your obvious limitations I suppose this is to be expected.

Old dogs from NM taught mr that. Wanna know what's funny? and predictable? the republicans make some headway and are more in control (right...sure) and watch the left bitch bitch bitch! lol....i mean, i watched the silence for what (how long has obama been in office?) and nada thing to say....but you change the tables some --more to the right in office and BOOMBADABANG the left is back in bitchin mode. LMFAO I saw the writing on the wall long before this. now....wait til we Really get a grab a that warmed up presidency seat and who knows....we may even have a new mobility worth wabi's time....again.

hypocrits...there's another word

aevory's sig 
The voice of conscience is so delicate that it is easy to stifle it; but it is also so clear that it is impossible to mistake it. -Madame De Stael, writer (1766-1817)

Go to Top of Page

ParaDude
Advanced Member

Posted On: 11/19/2010  At: 6:07:05 PM | Reply Link

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

blasphemy

No comment on content, just attack the message. Oh well, give your obvious limitations I suppose this is to be expected.

Old dogs from NM taught mr that. Wanna know what's funny? and predictable? the republicans make some headway and are more in control (right...sure) and watch the left bitch bitch bitch! lol....i mean, i watched the silence for what (how long has obama been in office?) and nada thing to say....but you change the tables some --more to the right in office and BOOMBADABANG the left is back in bitchin mode. LMFAO I saw the writing on the wall long before this. now....wait til we Really get a grab a that warmed up presidency seat and who knows....we may even have a new mobility worth wabi's time....again.

And this rather sad and pathetic rant by you is somehow relative to this threads subject matter how?

You really need some help sorting through the jumble of gibberish that courses between your ears prior to posting. Give it a try some day, you might actually surprise yourself with the results.

ParaDude's sig 

Go to Top of Page

InkBlister

Member #: 541
Topics started: 11

Posted On: 11/19/2010  At: 6:35:49 PM | Reply Link

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

blasphemy

I have no idea what the hell aevory is trying to say or how it corresponds to the topic of this thread (or the majority of her posts in any thread for that matter)... To be honest, I really don't think she ever does either, but at least she's consistant...

InkBlister's sig 
Sorry to be such a stickler but... :-)

Go to Top of Page

ParaDude
Advanced Member

Posted On: 11/19/2010  At: 6:44:32 PM | Reply Link

Congratz Inkblister...you can now join the club. There is a small group of people (100 or so) that have a secret location where all we do is talk about Avory's post, we are diligent in our attempts to decode each and every one of them.

Unfortunately none of us are making much headway in that regard, we are hoping for a "Rosetta Stone" type moment so that all the mysteries of this lady are finally exposed.

Perhaps when Aevory has a more lucid moment she can enlighten us all. :)

ParaDude's sig 

Go to Top of Page

aevory

Posted On: 11/20/2010  At: 08:53:54 AM | Reply Link

Clever pokes are everywhere, aren't they? I surely don't take myself for a fool so I'm pretty much in the shakey-group on That one. lol

Monday, August 23, 2010
The Gospel According to an Atheist...
Philip Pullman's newest novel, The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ (Edinburgh: Canongate, 2010), has caused a lot of stir in the world of Christianity (for example, see this news article), and no doubt it will continue to do so. I had not heard of this book, but saw it on the new releases shelves of the UConn library and was shocked to see the names of Pullman and Jesus (not to mention the third, Christ) so close to each other on the same binding. My fascination was burning too much to pass up reading it.

As the official website for the novel says, "THIS IS A STORY." That element of the book is easy to spot: Pullman has crafted a retelling of the gospel accounts that reads compellingly, quickly, and, above all, like a narrative to be consumed--all aspects that appeal to popular culture's conceptions of novels. Given Pullman's unconcealed anti-Christian agenda, the above motto also points toward a clever poke at Christians through another means, reminding them that many people now reject the Bible as only fictional stories and not historical fact. This element is certainly at the heart of the novel; reading it reveals as much, both subtly and blatantly.
http://bwhawk.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&updated-max;=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&max-results;=17

I actually like originality in posters. Not hashed over clever pokes by other people just repeated and repeated and repeated.

lol, guess that's why cleverness is such a demanded sort a thing....and given to such jealousy when you don't have it but another does.

aevory's sig 

Go to Top of Page

ParaDude
Advanced Member

Posted On: 11/20/2010  At: 10:37:27 AM | Reply Link

Quote:
lol, guess that's why cleverness is such a demanded sort a thing....and given to such jealousy when you don't have it but another does.

I guess that explains why 95% of your posts are cut and paste crap. You lack the "cleverness" and/or "originality" to form and express your own opinions.

Fear not, it's not too late nor are you too old to begin using those tools that the rest of us have been using all our lives.

signed
Greg..or Wabi...or ...

ParaDude's sig 

Go to Top of Page

ghoti

Member #: 7
Topics started: 328
City: Ishpeming
State: Michigan

Posted On: 11/20/2010  At: 11:16:04 AM | Reply Link

Quote:
I actually like originality in posters. Not hashed over clever pokes by other people just repeated and repeated and repeated.

Yeah, Ronda, your "if you can't refute the message, attack the messenger" shtick is getting awfully repetitive. Why not try actually saying something relevant to the original post once in a while instead?

ETA: By the way, since you don't know how to spell it correctly, I guess that explains why you don't know what it means, either. Hypocrites are people who say one thing and then do the opposite in their daily lives - like people who claim to be Christians but who are actually hateful and judgmental toward others.

[ Edited by: ghoti on 11/20/2010 11:52:04 AM ]

ghoti's sig 
The scientific mindset: try to answer all the questions but be especially sure to question all the answers.

Excuse me, but I believe my karma just ran over your dogma.

Go to Top of Page

ParaDude
Advanced Member

Posted On: 11/20/2010  At: 11:50:45 AM | Reply Link

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

blasphemy

Old dogs from NM taught mr that.

Funny those things that you say you hate about NM are the exact same things you have embraced now for yourself. Mention that to your therapist.

[ Edited by: ParaDude on 11/20/2010 11:52:47 AM ]

ParaDude's sig 

Go to Top of Page

kan5a5

Member #: 97
Topics started: 142
State: kansas

Posted On: 11/20/2010  At: 11:59:41 AM | Reply Link

Quote:

....we may even have a new mobility worth wabi's time....again.

yes, a cripboard isn't worth a darn thing until there is a specifically and intentionally anonymous crip hatin' devotee at the helm.

Go to Top of Page

crookedman

Member #: 132
Topics started: 44

Posted On: 12/02/2010  At: 01:54:43 AM | Reply Link

Quote:

Quote:

blasphemy

"No comment on content, just attack the message. Oh well, give your obvious limitations I suppose this is to be expected."

Isn't "blasphemy" actually a comment, although brief, on the content of the message?

One thing I never associated with Obama was silence.

crookedman's sig 
...only the Shadow knows.

Go to Top of Page

Paulwa

Member #: 6
Topics started: 321

Posted On: 12/02/2010  At: 2:07:13 PM | Reply Link

That is what Obie does best of course (silence to crisises) except when he is lying to the people then his lips move.
Paul

Go to Top of Page

aevory

Posted On: 12/11/2010  At: 09:59:22 AM | Reply Link

Quote:
Originally posted by crookedman

Isn't "blasphemy" actually a comment, although brief, on the content of the message?

absolutely

aevory's sig 

Go to Top of Page

Gimpy77

Member #: 99
Topics started: 187
State: Nebraska

Posted On: 12/11/2010  At: 10:47:18 PM | Reply Link

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulwa

That is what Obie does best of course (silence to crisises) except when he is lying to the people then his lips move.
Paul

Actually, I think that covers pretty much any president in my life time, and likely much farther back....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Religious v secular holidays Topic Next Topic: The Devil is real?  
Bookmark this Topic